The Bright Coast

Progressive Thoughts from San Diego Alums on Law, Politics, and Culture

GOP Full of Uninformed Radicals: Are We Really Surprised?

Posted by demkid on February 2, 2010

This is why it pains me when Democrats can’t get their act together on things.  Why the party would lose any important race or broader national election when the other side is so beholden to radical elements of the electorate is completely beyond me. 

A new poll of more than 2,000 self-identified Republican voters illustrates the incredible paranoia enveloping the party and the intense pressure drawing lawmakers further and further away from political moderation.

Among the findings in the Daily Kos/Research 2000 Poll:

  • Less than one-third (32%) of Republicans don’t believe President Obama should be impeached.  This means the other 68% believe he should be, or aren’t sure.
  • Only 42% of Republicans believe the President is a natural citizen of the United States.
  • 31% of Republicans think Obama is a “Racist who hates White people.”  33% weren’t sure.
  • About a quarter (24%) of Republicans think Obama wants “the terrorists to win,” and 33% weren’t sure.

“This is why it’s becoming impossible for elected Republicans to work with Democrats to improve our country,” said Markos Moulitsas, founder and publisher of Daily Kos. “They are a party beholden to conspiracy theorists who don’t even believe Obama was born in the United States, and already want to impeach him despite a glaring lack of scandal or wrongdoing. They think Obama is racist against white people and the second coming of Lenin. And if any of them stray and decide to do the right thing and try to work in a bipartisan fashion, they suffer primaries and attacks.”

Sure, the poll was done for a leftist website, but the polling organization is reputable.  I wouldn’t mind seeing an independent analysis of the sample, though, as I know a large bulk of the respondants were from the South. 

It’s interesting, though.  The Democratic Party is the “Big Tent” party, and they came to power most recently by supporting a significant group of moderate to conservative candidates.  However, they have a difficult time embracing these new representatives and working with them to demonstrate a strong, cohesive group.  The GOP has had an easy time in the past year attacking liberal leaders like Nancy Pelosi, and now, moderate to conservative Democrats are deciding not to run again, and are even switching parties!  Republicans, on the other hand, seem to have no desire to include moderates in their ranks.  In this political climate, any attempt by a member of the GOP to find common ground and work with the other side is likely a foolish move, as strong conservative opposition will surely rise to attack come election time.  Perhaps the best strategy for President Obama and the Democrats is to work with moderates in their own party, and forget about the GOP.  If Republican moderates don’t want to join in the collaborative process, then so be it.  Their shrinking numbers clearly show how their party is becoming increasingly controlled by the radical fringe.  If only Democrats could figure out how to take the middle ground…a centrist leader in Congress would be a nice start!

Advertisements

One Response to “GOP Full of Uninformed Radicals: Are We Really Surprised?”

  1. Legally Blonde said

    That poll sums up my entire family on my dad’s side. I used to think they were bad examples of republicans… They’re still bad but I think it’s a fairly accurate representation, for better or for worse.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: